FLI Structures are leaders in the design, manufacture, supply and installation of Screw piles and Steel Grillages. This is a steel foundation solution suitable for Railway, Highway, Telecoms, Radar, Construction Civils and Renewable such as structures, including Portal Gantries, Cantilever Gantries, OLE, Signal Posts, Platforms, Masts, Met Mast, Towers, CCTV, Lighting Columns and Sign Posts, etc.
Visit our YouTube page to see a demonstration of FLI's Screw Pile installation.
FLI Screwpiles will support structures in both tension and compression providing an ideal solution where overturning moments are significant. For the most challenging applications on sites that might otherwise preclude piling we have also developed a specialised type of piling solution termed mini piling.
The piles are individually designed by our engineers to suit the separate ground conditions on the site. The torques are recorded during installation to confirm that adequate capacity has been achieved. Testing can be done simply, if required.
FLI Structures have in house capabilities to test screw piles and reassure the installation has been carried out in accordance with the screw pile design. FLI offer helical pile tension testing up to 100 kN, or to the design capacity. Compression or lateral screw pile testing can be carried out by our recommended specialist contractors.
About Screw Piles
Screw piles were invented by Alexander Mitchell & were first used in the 1830’s to support lighthouses and piers and were initially made from cast iron. In 1863, Screw piles were used to support Brighton pier. The technology has been widely used in America and is now becoming popular within the UK.
Today, screw piles are made from galvanised steel. They are suitable for both tension and compression loads. In many cases the piles and the associated structure can be installed in a day.
Benefits of FLI Screw Piles
- Quick to install – saving time & money
- No excavations or spoil to cart away – saving money, particularly if there is contaminated ground
- No concrete or curing time – enables speedier commissioning of sites
- Small footprint – enables smaller bases in restricted areas
- Flexible design - frames can be designed to bridge services allowing areas with congested services to built on.
- Sustainable solution – they are removable & re-useable.
- Installation in low temperatures – no down time, unlike concrete
- Cost effective solution in soft ground, where traditional piling is more expensive and concrete is technically unsuitable
FLI Structures screwpiles can be used in many structural situations, such as -
For information please contact us.